birding-aus

Channel-billed Cuckoos

To: <>
Subject: Channel-billed Cuckoos
From: "Andrew Taylor" <>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 08:52:45 +1000
This morning as I logged on to receive my Birding-Aus mail, from my study I could hear an awful lot of noise from the resident Noisy Miner colony (about 10 birds). Only 15 metres from our house in some young eucalypt amongst some older eucalypt woodland, a pair of Channel-billed Cuckoos were almost disdainfully ignoring the persistent miners' harrassment. Maybe these very conspicuous and hated birds amongst the avian world are so used to the treatment other birds dish out, they just ignore it. I have seen other birds here at home chased away by the pesky miners, and they haven't put up any resistance whatsoever, from Pacific Bazas right through to Noisy Friarbirds. Unfortunately, the colony of miners tend to discourage any long term plans of residence of other birds, particularly other honeyeaters and small passerines.

Anyway, back to the cuckoos. This is only my second record here at Rosemount, between Nambour and Maroochydore on the Sunshine Coast, my other record being of 1 bird in late 1999 (sorry, I didn't record the date). One of the cuckoos was very skillfully dismantling a green grasshopper of some description whilst being harangued by miner torpedoes. They hung around for half an hour, affording brilliant views of their massive bill and bright red facial skin.

Have any other subscribers noted down arrival dates for these magnificent birds?

Andrew Taylor
Rosemount
Sunshine Coast, Qld