birding-aus

Singing Bushlark ID

Subject: Singing Bushlark ID
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 11:52:05 +1100
Steve,

Sounds to me like your bird might be a Richard's Pipit, which perform
dipping song-flights like you described with tail elevated, and ending with
a sudden dive to the ground.

The pipit's song is described well by Pizzey: "at each swing, utters high,
quavering 'tzweeer'", whereas I think the bushlark's flight song is more
varied and melodious than your description suggests.

Hope this helps,

Cheers
Carol

-----