birding-aus

Mixed Flock of cockatoos in NSW

To: Russell <>
Subject: Mixed Flock of cockatoos in NSW
From: Penny Drake-Brockman <>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 09:34:31 +1100
>Last week, a day after the bush fires at Wakehurst Parkway (Sydney), when
>taking a morning walk around Balmoral Oval (Mosman , NSW), I noticed a small
>flock of Sulfur-crested Cockatoos (8) feeding on the grass roots.  Among
>them was one Little Corella and four Long-beaked Corellas.
>
>I have been watching the cockatoo flock at this location for over three
>years, and have noticed the Little Corella most of this year, but the
>appearance of the  Long-beaked Corellas is a new phenomenom.
>
>It seems likely that these Corellas  have flown away from bushfires ?   They
>have not been seen since that occasion.
>
>Wendy Bannister told me that she had seen Sulfur-crested Cockatoos  with one
>Little Corella at Cremorne Point.
>
>On Sunday, I also noticed another type of mixed flock at Centennial Park
>(Waverly, Sydney)- Galahs and Corella- although I could identify which
>Corellas without binoculars.   Previously I have only seen  Long-beaked
>Corellas at Centennial Park.
>
>Jack Shapiro

Re: Jack's comments above on Corellas, I frequently see Long-billed in
Centennial Park with a few Short-billed - they've been around, particularly
in winter, for the past 6 years at least. Both species often feed on the
bulbs of that small fuscia coloured lily-type plant that grows in the grass
areas (name I forget)  together with Sulphur-cresteds, although the Little
Cs, with their shorter bills, have trouble getting deep enough to root out
the bults.
Penny Drake-Brockman, Examination Recitals Co-ordinator, Sydney
Conservatorium of Music.
Tel: 02 9351 1254.