birding-aus

Raising funds for research

Subject: Raising funds for research
From: (by way of Russell Woodford)
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 11:51:03 +1100

Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 18:42:14 +0930
From: Tony Russell <>

Well, from what I'm told the Twitchathon seems to be on its last legs down
here in the Mexican states - nobody seems to want to go.  Lozza is pulling
his hair out in Vic at a lack of response, and John Hatch is bewailing the
existence of only one team in SA ( maybe two).  Compare this with, so I'm
told, something like 32 teams in NSW / ACT. Are there any in Qld this year
??   Oooops !
Now, right on Twitchathon time, I'm heading off to Iron Range, but I have
offered to have people sponsor me for say 5c per bird species for the trip,
Adelaide to IR and back. That should be around 250 species given normal
luck, which means sponsors would be up for only $12.50 each. As Lozza
points out it couldn't then be called a Twitchathon (even though I would be
largely twitching, especially if I see a Red Gossie), but we could call it
a Cape Yorkathon or a Madpomathon or whatever.
So come on all you fervent armchair birders, who would be prepared to
sponsor me?  And just to keep me honest, once I publish the list, don't
send the money to me, send it to Lozza who is struggling to get teams
together in Vic. and deserves the help ( would you believe I tried Hatch
and he knocked me back).

I'm betting ten cents to a piece of lead that no-one responds positively to
this.

Tony.

    Birding South Australia with Adelaide Birding 4WD
    phone : 08 8337 5959  , o/s 61 8 8337 5959
    e-mail: