birding-aus

Little Bittern.

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Little Bittern.
From: "Paul Walbridge" <>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 17:00:05 +1000
Hi Birding-aussers, went to Sherwood Arboretum (Brisbane) today to look for Little Bittern with Chris Barnes and Brian Russel who both needed it. Well, it would appear that there is a pair present as we found a male (a female reported earlier), which eventually came out to feed in the open in the rain. Funnily enough it was in the exact same spot as the last one I saw there nine years ago.

Precise directions are; drive down Sherwood Road, turn right into Dewar Terrace then turn left into Dunella Street. Park at the bottom of the cul de sac, look left along the island about 20 metres and locate a tall dead Melaleuca stump, search thoroughly at base of Bullrushes, to the right. It may take some time as these birds are incredibly cryptic, I located this motionless bird by it's eye and bill! Once used to our presence it started to move about and feed. If it is raining and you don't want to get wet like we did then just wind down a window and scan from the car - it's that close!

Other interesting birds seen during the morning before the change came and literally blew the rain away:
Two Spotless Crakes at Pine Rivers Park (Strathpine) and a lovely male White-winged Triller in a paddock behind the Samford Cemetary. Cheers - Paul Walbridge.