birding-aus

Striped Honeyeater in NW Victoria, Swift Parrots in central Victoria

Subject: Striped Honeyeater in NW Victoria, Swift Parrots in central Victoria
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 22:37:01 +1100

Hi all,

I was 2ha atlassing a small remnant of Black Box at Culgoa in North-West
Victoria today.  It was reasonable bit of habitat, but small, and mainly
generalist species.  At the very I moment that I thought "oh well, no
interesting birds, but at least I've atlassed a typical small remnant" a Striped
Honeyeater gave a short warble from only 10 metres away (Striped Honeyeaters are
an interesting bird in Victoria!).  You just never know do you?  I echo David
Geering's comments a while back about atlassing different areas you may not
normally spend 20 minutes.

150 Swift Parrots are currently camped in Yellow Gums on the northern outskirts
of Bendigo.  We have put an article in local media, even getting the mayor of
bendigo out to have a look.  This is incredibly late, and there have been recent
sightings at Cowra as well as the birds seen on their way back to Tasmania.  We
would never have thought the species would be in such a large congregation so
late in the season.

On the Night Parrot thing, anyone abusing him/her/it is playing right into its
hands/feet.  "Trollers" are common on many chatlines and EXPECT this!  The
delete button is easy enough to use.

Simon Kennedy (maybe)