birding-aus

Spring at Pink Lakes

To: "Birding Australia" <>
Subject: Spring at Pink Lakes
From: "Chris Coleborn" <>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 12:57:03 +1000
G'day all,

After a time at Gluepot, I travelled to the Pink Lakes - Sunset National Park in North West Victoria. The area was decked in its Spring finery, and the lakes truly glowed pink and the colour of the Jacaranda's that will soon be flowering in Brisbane. In the open areas grasses and flowering herbs made a wonderful mat of colour and texture, from silver grey to bronze and copper tonings of the various grass seeds. There were seeding Cranesbill as well as Wild Mustard, and this was attracting a lot of the parrots. There were flocks of up to twenty Major Mitchell Cockatoos, as well as Ringnecks, Blue Bonnets, Galahs, Cockatiel, Budgerigar and Red-rump Parrots.  It was great to regularly see a flock of about 10 Blue-winged Parrots feeding and roosting in an open area within the Mallee.

There were almost a great a variety of birds as at Gluepot - I saw about ninety species, but no where the numbers. I usually pick up the little Mallee Emu-wren, but though I hunted it carefully in its usual haunts, it did not put in an appearance. (Does it go quiet and secretive during breeding in Spring?) The Striated Grasswrens were also very quiet. I saw only one, but it was a good find for it was nesting. There were also Shy Heathwrens and Southern Scrub-robins, but no Malleefowl to be seen. In past years I have seen a small flock of Chestnut-crowned Babblers, but they have been conspicuous by their absence.

There had been recent light rains, and some fresh water pools were to be found that attracted various water birds.

I also visited several reserves close by to the Pink Lakes, and found that there was a good selection of birds to be found there too. There were some species found in these reserves that were not in the area of the Pink Lakes.

There was again evidence of breeding, and of the presence of inland birds such as the Cockatiels, Red-rumped Kingfisher and Crimson Chats. A mice plague is underway in the area, and there were large numbers of Black-shouldered Kites. We kept a look out for Letter-wing Kites, but they either have not yet heard of the mice, or the conditions are too good inland for them.

The bird list for the time at this great area is as follows:

Emu - b
Stubble Quail
Australian Shelduck
Australian Wood Duck
Pacific Black Duck
Great Cormorant
White-faced Heron
Straw-necked Ibis
Yellow-billed Spoonbill
Black-shouldered kite
Spotted Harrier - b
Brown Goshawk
Wedge-tailed Eagle
Little Eagle
Brown Falcon
Australian Hobby
Black Falcon
Peregrine Falcon - b
Nankeen Kestrel
Little Button-quail
Painted Button-quail
Black-winged Stilt
Banded Stilt (All but one immatures or in non breeding plumage)
Banded Lapwing
Masked Lapwing - b
Silver Gull
Rock Dove