birding-aus

Colour banding birds

To: Night Parrot <>, "Birding-aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Colour banding birds
From: David Geering <>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 09:27:48 +1000
I don't have time to address this right now.  Have spent the last two weeks
in the field and am leaving for another two weeks this afternoon.  I would
love to provide you with a fuller explanation but I just don't have time.

This action is one endorsed by the national Recovery Effort and has NO
effect on the birds.  The total weight of four bands is about 0.25 grams.
There are plenty of Regents wearing these bands for 10 years or more.
Breeding success of banded birds is statistically the same as those without
bands.  We have a large number of sightings of banded birds well after
banding both near and away from the banding location.

Surely there is more to lose if we do not endeavour to learn as much as
possible about our declining and endangered birds.

Does birding-aus have a policy regarding e-mails from anonymous subscribers?
I, for one, would like to know who I am addressing.

David Geering
Regent Honeyeater Recovery Coordinator