birding-aus

Common Koel & Little Bittern at Argyle

Subject: Common Koel & Little Bittern at Argyle
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 09:12:30 +0800
This morning I heard the first Common Koel for the wet season at the Argyle
Diamond Mine in the north east Kimberley.  This is the earliest record that
I have for Argyle.  We had our first rain and lightning storm two nights
ago.

Yesterday I very quickly surveyed the Alluvials reclaim dam where I have
recently found White-browed Crake and Australian Spotted Crake.  I found
the White-browed Crake and I also found a Little Bittern which is the first
sighting of this species at Argyle (species #210).

Other good sightings at the Alluvials ATD5 tailings dam were an immature
Osprey (2nd record on the lease), 25 Caspian Terns (highest number on the
lease) and six Cattle Egrets (2nd record on the lease).