birding-aus

FIGBIRD at Seven Hills (approx. 40 km west of Sydney)

To: <>
Subject: FIGBIRD at Seven Hills (approx. 40 km west of Sydney)
From: "Vella" <>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 18:57:38 -0000
This morning while having breakfast, I heard a Figbird calling. I went outside in a hurry and saw the bird fly from a group of Eucalypts and in some exotic tree, beside my neighbours backyard. The bird called for a few minutes more than took off.

This is as far west I have seen a Figbird in metropolitan Sydney, and is a first for my street list (now standing at 88 species) and probably for Seven Hills and Blacktown shire. The only fig tree in the vicinity, is a very small one, not more than a metre tall in a park opposite our place, but has never had fruit. I don't know of any fruiting trees in the area at the moment, but there are some large fig trees a km away in Seven Hills. I'd say they are looking for new territory like the birds I saw at Guildford (about 10 km km away) last August.

Has anybody else in western Sydney been seeing any Figbirds?

Edwin