birding-aus

Blackbirds versus Brush Turkeys

To: <>
Subject: Blackbirds versus Brush Turkeys
From: "Allan Morris" <>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 20:45:38 +1000
Hi Birders,
Following on from my comments about the damage Brush Turkeys can do to gardens compared to the damage Blackbirds do in Melbourne gardens when digging up the plants, on 27 September Laurance Knight said "Hmmm if you have problems witrh Brush Turkeys you obviously have the wrong sort of garden"!

Wrong Laurie, fortunately I live in an as yet Brush Turkey free zone, where in addition to growing some natives, I can actually have lawn, roses, azaleas and camelias too in my garden. But as a recently retired public servant who headed up the Agency on the NSW Central Coast whose job was to make some response to the public about attacking Magpies, swooping Masked Lapwings (particularly in retirement villages and the Central Coast is the retirement capital of Australia), and destructive Brush Turkeys, it was more than my job was worth to respond to some irrate ratepayer/voter/gardener, whose garden had been invaded by the expanding Brush Turkey population of the Central Coast, by telling him/her that "if you have a problem with Brush Turkeys you obviously have the wrong sort of garden!!"
Instead we made sympathetic noises, gave them a pamphlet (with the local MP's photograph on it) that explained all the techniques one could use to mimimise the impact on the garden caused by those pesky turkeys. One good thing about my retirement is that I no longer have to utilised my extensive conflict resolution skills that I developed from dealing with those irate & irrational ratepayer/voter/gardeners who are generally middle aged/retired men like myself, whose ordered lives and immaculate gardens and lawns had been incorporated into some dominant male Brush Turkey's territory. Blackbirds are much more easier to deal with!

Alan Morris.