birding-aus

moths @ olympics

To: <>
Subject: moths @ olympics
From: "Paul Taylor" <>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 11:15:38 +1100
> Yes Paul, you are quite right there does seem to be a serious moth problem
> at Homebush and I'm surprised that no one seems to have picked up on it.

I noticed the moths too; given that the mountain bike racers are being
swooped by magpies, the athletes have got it easy.  :-)  Apparently
most of the riders have stuck eyes on the back of their helmets with
some success.

There was a very brief mention of the moths on the ABC News sites:
http://www.abc.net.au/olympics/news/breaking/break-23sep2000-1.htm

   Olympic flame attracts unwanted visitors

   The Olympic flame has attracted some unwanted visitors at the Olympic
   Stadium.

   Thousands of moths were flying through the stadium during the first
   night of the track and field program, irritating spectators and causing
   problems for some athletes.

   The moths were attracted to the bright lights at the venue and the
   Olympic cauldron.