birding-aus

Cuckoo expert required

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Cuckoo expert required
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 09:36:01 -0700
Hello all,
Are there any cuckoo experts out there?
Actually an expert on cuckoos would be better.

On 15/9/2000 I observed a bronze-cuckoo in a callistermon tree in my backyard.
I was able to get a reasonably good look at  the bird and also obtained a video clip with my new you-beaut camcorder.
But even with all of that I am not one hundred percent sure of my identification.

I believe it was probably an immature Shining Bronze-Cuckoo,  Chrysococcyx lucidus lucidus.

None of the illustrations in my field guides or even HANZAB match the bird I observed.
However, the description of Shining Bronze-Cuckoo in HANZAB suggests to me that I was looking at  Chrysococcyx lucidus lucidus .

I have placed a couple of images of the cuckoo on a page on my website for general consumption.

If there are any experts on cuckoos willing to comment on the images or my identification I would be happy to hear from them (by email please).

Bob Inglis
Woody point SEQld,
27 deg 15min 18 sec S; 153 deg 5 min 38 sec E
E-mail:
WWW: http://www.powerup.com.au/~inglisrc