birding-aus

birdstay places

To: Russell Woodford <>
Subject: birdstay places
From: Alexandra Appleman <>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 13:10:32 +1000
At 01:13 PM 9/6/00 +1100, you wrote:
>Hi Alex
>
>I have a number of links on the birding-aus website - and I add more
>as they become available.  Of course, like anything on the internet,
>the list will never be complete and will often be out of date, but at
>least I guess it's a starting point.
>
>If you have any others that are not on the Birding-Aus site, you
>might let me know and I'll add them.  Also, if there are any there
>that people feel are rip-offs or mention places where birds are
>clearly not regarded with due importance, then I'm happy to remove
>the links.
>
>Sorry to take this long to reply!
>
>Russell

Thanks Russell, and to all who have sent me ideas and contacts for
bird-stay places.  In considering 'birder-friendly' establishments I also
take into consideration non-birding spouses and kidlets. When I visited the
UK recently Ian Clayton lent me his copy of "Best Bird watching places in
UK and Ireland". The thing I liked about it was it contained site
descriptions, birds through the seasons, access, accommodation tips AND
other [non-birding] activities.

I have just returned from a field trip mapping the survey pegs and lease
extension to the partly-restored Tyrconnell Historic Goldmine, at Mt
Mulligan north of Dimbulah, along a road that would break the heart of
anyone who wasn't a birder, heptophile, history buff or gold prospector [we
used low 4 as I was mapping the position of culverts, washaways and creek
crossings]. As soon as Cate (the co-owner) realised I was a birder out came
her copy of Simpson and Day in which she had ticked off the birds found
there. I identified 22 species by sight or call whilst I was there - not a
bad effort considering I was working.

On the way back we called in at Undara Lava Tubes which has gone upmarket
and trendy since I first went there in 1992, but I managed to scrounge a
bird list from them. We overnighted at Jervoise station, a 110 sq mile
cattle property south of Greenvale which also welcomes birders but is not
birder-specific. [I was there to survey the airstrip].

When I get an idle moment I will start to collate the information together
and will have it ready for the end of the wet season.

Cheers

Alex Appleman
Townsville
S19*19' E146*47'