birding-aus

Birding areas of importance

To: <>
Subject: Birding areas of importance
From: "Vella" <>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 14:58:49 -0000
David Geering wrote:

In remote places I can see why people
> might like to be directed to a particular spot to see a particular bird
but,
> often you really need to hunt around.  This may mean tens of kilometres
from
> THE spot.  Many birders will not do this and there are often good reasons
> for this - time constraints etc.  More often, I think, it is a case of
> thinking that if the birds aren't there then they aren't there when, in
> actual fact, they are just up the road and were driven past getting to THE
> spot.  I am amused by reports that the Pintail has left.  It's probably on
> one of the many other small wetlands that can be found within easy flying
> distance of Cowan's Pond.

I must say I agree with David with the above. I remember myself, Lorne
Johnson and Keith Brandwood were finding our first Yellow Wagtail (in Aust.)
a few years ago where it appeared at Shortland Wetlands Centre in Newcastle.
We searched there, Ash Island, around Kooragang Island etc etc. Just before
returning back to Sydney after a very long day searching, we suggested that
we look at a small lagoon at Sandgate beside the HWY and in a matter of
minutes it was there!!!! We also saw some other great birds while searching.

When I was doing the Swift Parrot Survey at Bulga early this year I did not
see them as I did a month earlier, but I always had that feeling that they
were still there due to the large honeyeater activity at the time. They may
have
been just over the ridge, who knows?.

When I am in areas with lots of Casuarinas (apart from the River Oaks), I am
often quite optimistic that I will certainly find a Glossy black Cockatoo by
just
carefully listening out for them munching away on their seeds, and I do on
quite a few occasions eventually see them. Likewise with Painted
Button-quails.

I was also lucky to find a Bairds Sandpiper a few years ago at Bushells
Lagoon (west of
Sydney) about a month after it had  turned up at Pitt Town Lagoon, a few km
east of
there. This however was a bit unexpected.

Myself, Lorne and others were looking for the Black-backed Wagtail at
Glendale Shoping Centre's "Lone Star Restaurant" (No Joke!!) during one
Easter. We did not see it there, but perhaps it moved onto nearby Hungry
Jacks!!!!

We all may have time constraints, but if we are really desperate to find a
bird,
sometimes "persistence" does pay.

"You never never know, if you never never go" as I often say to many birdo's

Edwin