birding-aus

Mount Isa Waterbird and Shorebird Arrivals

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Mount Isa Waterbird and Shorebird Arrivals
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 21:05:23 +1000
g'day All,
Niven (Darwin) & Andy (Cairns) postings have prompted me to add the following.....

The number of birds on our Lake Moondarra is returning back towards its normal numbers since our wet season.
Several months ago it was the sole domain of Cormorants, Darters, Jacana's and our growing colony of 3 dozen Green Pygmy-geese.

At one secluded and rarely visited western bay, the birds on Friday 18/8/00 included  ...
-- 60+ Black Swans (including 2 shepherding 6 cygnets in line astern formation)
-- 1000's of Pacific Black Ducks & Hardheads
-- a few  Aust. Wood Ducks and Pink-eared Ducks
-- 100's Coots,(there are normally 1000's)
-- 33 Plumed Whistling-Ducks,
-- Caspian, Gull-billed and Whiskered Terns (sunning themselves together)
-- a few Straw-necked and Glossy Ibis
-- a few Pelican, Int' & Great Egrets
--- Masked Lapwings, Black-winged Stilts, Aust Grebe,   etc
-- 2 Red-capped Plover
-- 1 Marsh Sandpiper
-- 1 Sharptailed Sandpiper

(At another bay, near the Clear Water Sedimentation Lagoon, a rarish visitor, 30+ Wandering Whistling-Duck)

Regards, Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, NW Qld.
ps A Common Sandpiper arrived at the Sewage Ponds 2 weeks ago...BF