birding-aus

Wompoo in my garden

To: <>
Subject: Wompoo in my garden
From: "Bill Moorhead" <>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 19:30:24 +1000
This morning whilst in a hurry to get to Bargara (15 Min away),I noticed a large pidgeon in a carpentaria palm next to our trampoline. On closer inspection it was a magnificently coloured Wompoo.Unfortunately I had to leave after a couple of photos.We live on an acre and a half right in the middle of Bundaberg with a bird list of over 130.When we moved in 9 years ago there was only 1 tree;now there's 1000+
It's amazing the radars on these Wompoos....that palm is the only tree seeding at present.Any suggestions as to how they manage to source out the only fruit in the area.?...I've seen the Wompoos in rainforests but never 6 metres from a residential home....hopefully he's not here because of a lack of food anywhere else.For the moment,though he's more than welcome.Bill