birding-aus

Escapees and northern hemisphere ducks

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Escapees and northern hemisphere ducks
From: Rohan Clarke <>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 09:53:55 +1000
Hi all,
Glenn's query concerning the origin of northern hemisphere ducks is not the
first to be made on birding-aus since the arrival of the Northern Pintail.
Responding to these comments is made easier by the fact that until a couple
of years ago all bird imports had been banned since 1948.  As far as
waterfowl go the following non-native species occur in captivity in
Australia.
Ruddy Shelduck
Paradise (NZ) Shelduck
NZ Scaup
Egyptian Geese
Canadian Geese
Mute Swan
Carolina Wood duck (very few left)
Mandarin duck
Mallard
There is a slim chance additional species have been imported since the
lifting of bans on bird imports however my understanding is that to date all
imports by private individuals have involved parrots, racing pigeons and
finches
All the best
Rohan

Rohan Clarke
PhD Candidate
'Conservation Biology of the Black-eared Miner'
Department of Zoology
La Trobe University
Bundoora Vic. 3083
Tel 03 9479 1672