birding-aus

Pacific Black Duck

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Pacific Black Duck
From: "Trevor Hampel" <>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 22:36:31 +0930
While having a picnic lunch on the bank of the River Murray at Murray Bridge yesterday I observed some odd behaviour by a single Pacific Black Duck.

It was swimming along with only its beak and a little of its head out of the water; none of the body or neck was visible. It then dived under water grebe style and swam under water for some  8-10 metres before only the head and beak emerged again.

A few seconds later it dived again for some 8-10 metres. It did this at least 3 times before coming up to a normal duck position with most of its body out of the water. A quick shake of the feathers and off it swam quite normally again.

All of this happened some 10 metres in front of my wife and me about 3 metres from the bank. The water would have been about a metre deep.

Happy birding,

Trevor Hampel
Murray Bridge
South Australia