birding-aus

mixed flock of swiftlets

Subject: mixed flock of swiftlets
From: Alexandra Appleman <>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 08:45:00 +1000
Yesterday (12 August) my partner and I were driving back to Townsville
along the western side of the Paluma Range (approx 90 kms to the NW of the
city) and passing through an open gorge when we came a cross 3 separate
groups of White-rumped Swiftlets hawking.  There were definitely mixed
flocks with several birds having much paler lowerparts. I had Pizzey and
Knight in the car and the illustrations and descriptions of JIZZ closely
matched those of Glossy Swiftlets.

Unfortunately I didn't get a photo as it was along one of those twisting,
axle-breaking, near-impossible to stop ungraded roads which criss-cross
North Queensland (and PNG as I recall from my brief trip there in 1996) -
in any case the flight is so quick and erratic it would be difficult to get
any decent shot in.

The field guides say Glossies are irregular visitors to the NE Qld coastal
ranges in Summer-Autumn, which would make this sighting 'a bit early' : do
you have any information on southern movements of Glossies from your
region? Could there be a resident population in North Queensland?

Your thoughts anybody?

Alex Appleman
Townsville