birding-aus

Syd's collective-noun ignorance!

To: Syd Curtis <>
Subject: Syd's collective-noun ignorance!
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 14:32:25 +1000
I'll also quote Wim Vader:
> "How about a Babel of Friar-birds. When listening to a flock up in the
> trees, I always had the impression that they are all conversing in
> unknown
> languages, shouting at each other, miffed because they are not
> immediately
> understood (I spent 1993 in OZ).

I look forward to more suggested collectives for Austr
lian birds -
> especially from the 'wags'.  Thanks.
> Syd

Dear Syd,  You asked for it!  After checking a couple of NZ and US
websites (thanks to those who told us) it occurred to the Flemings that
some Ausbirds really deserved collectives of their own.
  I particularly care for Wim's 'babel of friarbirds'.
  here are some Fleming suggestions:
    an idiocy of emus
    a yodelling of magpies
    a merriment of kookaburras
    a gluttony of gannets
    an aviation of albatrosses
    a collection of bowerbirds
    a hoard of bowerbirds (note spelling;
 did not say 'horde!')
    a mounding of megapodes
    a squawk of swamphens
    a clamber of parrots
creech of cockatoos
    a migraine of lorikeets
    a folly of galahs
    a startle of blackbirds (Melbourne's commonest bird deserves a
mention)
    an impertinence of Willy Wagtails
    a scolding of scrubwrens
    a scurry of sittellas
    a cacophony of wattlebirds
    a hover of spinebills
    an invisibility of pardalotes
    a mattock of choughs (whitewinged of course)
    an unidentifiability of thornbills
    a hurtle of needletails
    an apparition of stone-curlews
    a scuttle of dotterels (I mean small plover)
    a peep of stints
    a slum of pigeons (feral of course)
    a scavenge of gulls
    a robbery of skuas
    a skim of shearwaters
    a patrol of jabiru (aka Blacknecked Stork - 'policeman bird' up
north)
    an immobility of frogmouths
    a camouflage of frogmouths

I'm still looking for a good one for the Bustard.
Most of these lists are derived from Dame Juliana Berners (a nun who
wrote or compiled a book on hunting and fishing) and other medaeval
writers. One of hers which I like is:
    a deceit of lapwings (sometimes corrupted to 'desert' or even
'dessert')
The NZ list included among its birds 'a richesse of martens'. But
martens with an e are mammals - the Pine and Beech Martens, valued for
their expensive fur. (Dame Juliana again).
    The US list included some local birds, inc. 'a flamboyance of
flamingos' and both a 'rafter of turkeys' and a 'raffle of turkeys' (is
this the local equivalent of a chook raffle or should it be a 'ruffle of
turkeys?) Also 'a ballet of swans' and a 'bazaar of guillemots.'.
    The expression 'covey' still current for partridges, grouse and
such, is derived from the French 'couvee'(acute accent on first e)
meaning a clutch or brood.

    And finally, of course, a singular of a Phoenix!

While we are in lighter vein, I'll quote a verse by some taxonomist who
classified the whole genus Anthus, poor chap:
   Pipits as
 family
   Have few redeeming features.
   Specifically they are the least