birding-aus

Comb-breasted Jacana (Lotusbird) in Adelaide, South Australia.

To: "" <>
Subject: Comb-breasted Jacana (Lotusbird) in Adelaide, South Australia.
From: Pat and Ian May <>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 17:53:09 +0930
Dear Birders

At about 2.30 pm (CST) this afternoon, Patricia and myself were walking
along the western margin of the Kaurna Wetland at Salisbury North, South
Australia when we observed a Comb-breasted Jacana wading amongst the
flooded sedgeland about 80 metres east of us.   The bird casually moved
south along the sedge margin before settling into a more densely covered
patch.   Occasionally it raised its wings and once it flew a short
distance but settled again on a nearby sedge patch.  The bird appears to
be a young adult showing little or no sign of breeding plumage (pale
brown upperparts and small amount of red on its comb).

After watching the bird for 15 minutes, we remembered that Pat had a
mobile phone in her bag so we rang David Close who then contacted John
Cox and Colin Rogers.  About 20 minutes later John arrived and not long
after Colin also turned up and to our pleasure the bird just strutted
its stuff in full view occasionally hiding and then emerging again from
the short sedge.  We were joined later by Johns wife Heather Cox, and we
all enjoyed excellent views.

The exact observation site is from the western edge (Helps Road
embankment), 100 metres north from the south-western corner (cnr of
Waterloo Corner Road and Helps Road) of the wetland.

When we left at about 5.00 pm (about an hour ago) the bird was quite
settled and appeared content to remain in the area.

Regards and best wishes

Ian May
Mob.Phone  0409474575
phone/ fax    (08)81825858