birding-aus

Northern Pintail and Chinese Crested Tern

To: <>
Subject: Northern Pintail and Chinese Crested Tern
From: "Dion Hobcroft" <>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 18:33:52 +1000
The Northern Pintail was present on Monday the 8.8.00 at Cowan Ponds
Wetlands about 8 kilometres West of South Grafton on the Gwydir Highway
heading towards Glen Innes. The wetlands have a sign, lots of tree plantings
and is easily seen from the road. Park your car by the road. Proceed through
the gate and head to the hide. This classy duck stands out but sometimes may
loaf inconspicuously in the water hyacinth so spend a bit of time looking if
not immediately successful. It seems quite at home and may become a long
stayer-lets hope so for Tony and Mike's sake! We provided some pintail tax
to help the locals tree plant this handy birding site which I first visited
in 1982 to see my first NSW Magpie Geese.
Thanks to the local birders for getting the word out so quickly that
hopefully many people will be able to enjoy this wayward quacker.

On a separate note many birders may be suprised to hear some excellent
ornithological news of the rediscovery of the Chinese Crested Tern breeding
off Taiwan. This bird was considered almost certainly extinct. Four pairs
have been found. For more details with photo check
http://www.hkbws.org.hk/tempweb.html

Excellent birding for all

Dion Hobcroft