birding-aus

Bird Hides

To: <>
Subject: Bird Hides
From: "Allan Morris" <>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 13:39:47 +1000
Hi Birders,
Tom Tarrant asked for information about bird hides and I have a relative negative view about such buildings. Firstly they are often proposed by non-birdwatchers for bird watchers and built without any consultation. with the people who the builders think might use them. There is one not far from where I live that is permanently locked unless you go to get the key from some place, about 0.5 km away. Furthermore there is no covered access to this hide so the birds can see you come and go, so you might as well set up your telescope outside because you will see just as much from inside. If the hides are built in public places, & are not locked off at night, then they get easily and readily vandalised, or used for purposes for which they were not constructed.

I considered bird hides are only worthwhile if:

1. They are on a property where there is a resident ranger or person who can lock the gate at night and cares for the building by day!

2. That access to the hide is by a covered walkway where the birds can neither see or hear you coming.

3.and finally they are placed where there is something to see.

Generally speaking you can see as many birds from outside of the hides built on public lands where access is not restricted, than you can see from inside the hide because they are poorly sited and constructed. In my opinion the hides in the ACT at the Jerramborrra wetlands are well sited and operated, as are some in Kakadu NP but in NSW they are pretty pathetic compared with what is provided in the UK and South Africa. (I have no expereince of hides in other States except NT).

Alan Morris