birding-aus

SWQ highlights

Subject: SWQ highlights
From: Ian Fraser <>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 15:26:47 +1000 (EST)
Just back from leading a tour to SWQ (Cunnamulla - Thargomindah - Windorah -
back east) over the past fortnight. There have been plenty of postings
recently on this wonderful part of the world - very wonderful indeed at the
moment! - so I won't reiterate detail. A couple of 'different' highlights
may be of interest though.

Plumed Whistling Ducks at Nockatunga waterhole (120k west of Thargomindah).
(Also, on the last day of tour, a large flock at Tomingley, between Dubbo
and Parkes on the mid-western slopes of NSW - I'd never seen them near there.)

Black-necked Stork (adult) flying over Nindegully Pub, between St George and
Mungindi on the border. [THis follows one reported previously by me at
Narran Lake, near Brewarrina, NW slopes of NSW; on the other hand I managed
to fail to find one for a group earlier this year between Mackay and Hervey
Bay!!!]

A single Flock Bronzewing (now there's an oxymoron!) by the roadside 100k
west of Windorah. It flushed from the grass, but we could find no trace of a
nest.

The Great Crested Grebes reported nesting on Lake Bindegolly are hatching -
most pairs have a couple of youngsters with them.

The rest was much as expected and previously reported by others. One curious
(lack of) observation, in line with a slightly earlier trip to NWNSW, was an
almost total lack of chats - one pair of Gibbers, a small group of Crimsons,
and only a single Orange!!

More details on request

Best wishes

Ian
Ian Fraser, Canberra
Environment Tours; Vertego Environmental Writing Consultancy
GPO Box 3268, Canberra, ACT 2601
ph: 02 6249 1560  fax: 02 6247 3227
---