birding-aus

Colorado USA Trip Report

To: Birding-Oz <>
Subject: Colorado USA Trip Report
From: Timothy Hyde <>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 17:51:51 +1000
We were "birdwatching". They were "birding"

Joining up with a group of 14 American birdwatchers
on an organised tour of some of Colorado?s hotspots
wasn?t something that we would normally think about doing,
but for our first serious attempt at birding in the USA
it seemed like a good idea.     It was.

This isn?t a full trip report, but just an unsolicited recommendation
and my Top Ten list. The tour was with Victor Emanual Nature Tours,
Victor himself leading this one.

Very well organised and run, well beyond my expectations,
and I would hold my hand up to do another, any day.
Their website and tour catalogue are also a fantastic
resource and overview of world birding
and great for armchair dreamers.
http://www.ventbird.com

We tackled three main birding spots and in the 5 days totalled 137
species, all new to us. Wow. And an amazing Mammal count as well.

The three main areas were -
Pawnee National Grasslands, Castlewood Canyon
and of course the Rocky Mountains National Park where we spent the
majority of our time exploring it?s differing habitat zones.

Top Five birds in no particular order.

White Tailed Ptarmigan.
More than just a Birders bird, the experience of observing a pair,
above the treeline on windswept Trail Ridge road,
surrounded by clear sky, mountains, elk and snow
was truly memorable.
American Dipper.
Anyone who watched "Life of Birds" would fall in love with this
remarkable bird.
We spotted our first in the rushing torrent of the Big Thompson River
and then observed it feeding and returning to its nest many times, all
in full view.
Burrowing Owl.
Sharing its life with Prairie Dogs, in their "town communities" another
remarkable bird. Threatened with habitat loss.
Western Tananger.      Beautiful
Assorted Woodpeckers. Three Toed, Lewis?s, Red Naped, Hairy, & Flickers.
I guess because they are unlike anything we have here in Oz.

Other favourites from the trip include -
Virginia Rail -   nice to see in comparison to our backyard Lewin?s.
Golden Eagle - a legendary bird
Mountain Plover - Also very threatened with habitat loss.
Mountain Blue Bird - Delightful

We did also spot the Brown Capped Rosy Finch.
An unremarbable little bird,
but a target bird for the list and our fellow birders, as only really
found in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. A "birders" bird.

If anyone needs more info on the trip, Locations, Birds, Tour details
etc..
drop me a note directly.

Timothy Hyde
Blue Mountains   NSW

--
Timothy Hyde  -   Achieving the Impossible
PO Box 19

Phone    --    2 4758 8961
Fax        --    2 4758 8962
E-mail    --