birding-aus

OBP count

Subject: OBP count
From: mark kliene <>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 21:22:34 +1000
Hi all,

On Sunday i participated in my second RAOU OBP survey. My designated 2 hour search area being Shrubby/Beaded Glasswort marshland between Iluka and Whitneys roads Tyabb East. This area consists of sandy coastal eucalypt/tea tree woodland stretches becoming wet,soggy Glasswort turning into mangroves.Did not encounter any OBP's but did sight a bird i am unfamiliar with. This bird was wren-like and in activity-very inconspicuous, chattering and singing/harsh alarm call from undergrowth of Glasswort between woodland and mangroves, from the brief picture i had of it the description is something like this:- vertically dark streaks on creamy buff throat,breast,flanks and abdomen. Brown nape downwards, longish tail that tended to flicker upright, colour/markings indeterminable up to 15cm in length.Could it have been a Striated Fieldwren or maybe a Little Grassbird? Is anyone familiar with the area and its birdlife that could be of assistance?It would be appreciated.
Birds noted for that period include:- Australian Raven,Superb Fairy Wren,Striated Fieldwren?,New Holland Honeyeater,Spotted Pardalote,Grey Shrike Thrush,Magpie,Grey Butcherbird,Grey Fantail,Striated Thornbill,White Browed Scrubwren,Pacific Gull,unknown raptor.

After my search i decided to catch the French Island ferry at 12pm as i have not been there before, only to miss it by a couple of minutes!.So because i was  about 1 and 1/2 hours from home, with plenty of time on my hands i went to Coolart Wetlands and spent a few hours leisurely walking around the complex. The place has been in drought mode for two years allowing for regeneration of the wetlands and surrounding areas(from the invasion of hundreds of Sacred Ibis).Not much seen but some birds of note were:- White Eared Honeyeater,European Goldfinch,Swamp Harrier,Chestnut Teal,Great Egret,Eastern Yellow Robin and millions of frogs they must be loving it!. Concluded the day in a brief visit to the wetlands in Balnaaring near the local Primary school,where i encountered mixed flocks of Sacred and Straw Necked Ibis.

Cheers,

Mark Kliene.