birding-aus

re virus

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: re virus
From: "Terry Pacey" <>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 09:37:49 +1000
Maureen said, "It is all very well to suggest that we should all have virus
checkers.  The trouble is, you need to have the latest and the greatest!"

Not even the latest and greatest is of any use if you don't download the
latest virus "signatures" on a regular basis.  At least weekly would seem to
be the best timing.

I have been "hit" on two occasions, at least one of which came through
Birding-aus.  It was my fault as I had not followed my own advice.  I hope I
didn't infect anyone else.  I don't think so as they were Word macro viruses
and I hadn't passed on any Word documents.

There are still attachments coming through Birding-aus despite all the
warnings and requests to desist.   I hope those sending them realise that
most of those on the web won't even bother to open them and so they are
wasting their time posting these messages.

For those without the latest virus protection, I would like to make a
suggestion.  The program InoculateIT is an excellent virus protection
program that has been highly rated by most computer magazines.  It is
available for personal use at NO COST from www.cai.com (follow the links to
"downloads").  You have to register and updates are posted on the web site
when needed (no more than 14 days).  It has found a number of viruses for me
and refused to open a "trojan horse" that was hidden as a nature video.  I
might add that I also run two other virus protectors.  Obviously overkill
but my computer is my living.

I make no apologies for taking up time on a non-birding subject.  It appears
a number of those subscribing to Birding-aus need some guidance on this
matter.

Terry Pacey
TOOWOOMBA  QLD 4350

Tel/Fax: 07 4638 1193
Mobile:  0412 454 030

www.pacey.au.com

Don't forget to visit the Toowoomba Bird Observers site:
www.pacey.au.com/tbo.htm