birding-aus

Longreach/Winton trip

To: <>
Subject: Longreach/Winton trip
From: "Lynn Jenkin" <>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 19:33:44 +1000
Hi all!

Just back from a trip to Longreach & Winton to visit family but managed of
course to site a few birds as well. Only 70 species which was a bit
disappointing but none the less added some more to my life list.
We didn't manage to get to Bladensberg National Park or Larks Quarry which
should have yielded a few more, another time perhaps. What was disappointing
was I was under the impression , I think from a birding aus message that the
Winton sewerage plant was open to the public. I approached somebody at the
Shire Council , maybe the wrong approach? Can anyone enlighten me on how to
gain access?

Highlights included :

Great views of an Owlet Nightjar pearing out from a hollow log.
Many Brolgas & Aust Bustards.
Striped Honeyeater  new one for me
Spotted Bowerbird   ditto
Little Eagle soaring quite low & visible for some time.
Crested Bellbirds
Plum headed Finches

We spent three days on a property around 1 hours drive south west of Winton
& it was very refreshing to have garden birds that did not include any
introduced species. In fact the only introduced birds we saw the whole trip
were House Sparrows in Longreach.
Anyway, the "garden birds" sited included:

Black faced Woodswallow
Red Backed Kingfisher
Zebra Finch
Plum headed Finch
Brown Songlark
Spinifex Pigeon
Restless Flycatcher
White Plumed Honeyeater
Yellow throated Miner
Mistletoe Bird
Apostle Bird
Willie Wagtail

Others seen on the trip in order of sighting:

Galah
Crested Pigeon
House Sparrow
Magpie Lark
Australian Magpie
White breasted Woodswallow
Black Kite
Pied Butcherbird
Black faced Cuckooshrike
Richards Pipit
Nankeen Kestrel
Whistling Kite
Black shouldered Kite
Straw necked Ibis
Jacky Winter
Great Egret
Aust Grebe
Torresian Crow
Fairy Martin
Cockatiel
Spotted Harrier
Wedgetail Eagle
Australian Bustard
Diamond Dove
Owlet Nightjar
Brown Falcon
Budgerigar
White winged Triller
Brown Quail
White necked Heron
Black fronted Dotterel
Darter
Hardhead
Spiny cheeked Honeyeater
Singing Honeyeater
Grey Teal
Great Cormorant
Eurasian Coot
Black Duck
Wood Duck
Brolga
Emu
Short billed Corella
Sacred Ibis
Aust Pelican
Peaceful dove
Grey shrikethrush
Spotted Bowerbird
Little Eagle
Banded Lapwing
Yellow rumped Thornbill
Striped Honeyeater
Grey crowned Babbler
Yellow billed Spoonbill
Royal Spoonbill
Varigated Fairywren
Double barred Finch
Crested Bellbird

Surprise omissions I thought were the likes of Welcome Swallow, Masked
Lapwing, White faced Heron
all of which are usually on most outings lists !
Also no Rosellas or Kookaburras

Cheers

Dick Jenkin