birding-aus

First CBOC Fledglings Outing to Hawkesbury Area - 16th July 2000

To: <>
Subject: First CBOC Fledglings Outing to Hawkesbury Area - 16th July 2000
From: "Vella" <>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 20:26:50 -0000

Today 6 of us (Andrew Patrick, Tony Peri, Cathy Goswell, Sharon Taylor, Louise Blayney and myself) enjoyed what was the Cumberland Bird Observers Club’s first Fledgling’s Outing , with our first birding destination being the Hawkesbury area in Sydney’s north-west. "Fledglings" is a new informal group of the CBOC that has been created for the teens to mid 30’s age group. Besides birdwatching, the fledglings may be doing other fun things like dinner parties, movies, skiing weekends, and perhaps other interesting activities like hand gliding (and one may soar like a Peregrine or if you are really lucky, with a Papuan Pied Harrier!!!).

Anyway, we all met Andrew at 8:30 am in such a glorious winter day at Agnes Banks Nature Reserve (which lies half way between Penrith and Richmond). We observed a number of Honeyeaters here - White-eared, Yellow-faced, Brown-headed and White-cheeked Honeyeaters aswell as Eastern Spinebill’s. Several of these honeyeaters were attracted to the number of banksia’s in flower. We also had a great view of brilliant male Rose Robin, Eastern Yellow Robins, several Weebills and 3 species of Thornbills aswell.

Our next stop was then to Pughes Lagoon at Richmond were close up views of some of Sydney’s common waterfowl were had - a pair of Black Swan with 4 quite cute cygnets and another pair with a working nest.

We moved on through the turf farms stopping at a much larger swamp with more waterbirds - Yellow-billed Spoonbill, Darter, Pied Stilts, Black-fronted Dotterels and many Masked Lapwings. Here we all had an excellent and close view of an Australian Hobby perched on a low powerline, through’s Tony scope (thanks Tony). Near Bakers Lagoon our raptor count soared and within an hour, 8 species of raptor were seen - beside the Australian Hobby we had just seen, we added Brown Goshawks (2), Swamp Harrier (1), Spotted Harrier (1), Wedge-tailed Eagle (1), Black-shouldered Kites (a pair busily looking after one or two young), a pair of Brown Falcons (harassing the Eagle) and Australian Kestrels (3) to the day’s list. After this at about 2:30 pm, we declared that the race to see 10 raptors in a day in Sydney had begun.

We later carried on around Pitt Town Lagoon and Pitt Town Bottoms Rd in the hope of seeing 2 more species of raptor. We saw another Swamp Harrier, 2 more Brown Falcons (a dark-phase and a light-phase falcon) and a Kestrel along Pitt Town Bottoms Rd. At Pitt Town Lagoon, our much hoped White-bellied Sea-eagles and Whistling Kites did not show up, We headed to Glenorie were we also hoped for Grey Goshawk and Pacific Baza but alas, we had to be tempted with 8 species for the day.

Thanks Andrew for help organising this terrific day.

For those interested in joining the Fledglings, please contact Andrew at:

Edwin