birding-aus

SAOA outing 15/7

Subject: SAOA outing 15/7
From: Tony Russell <>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 14:59:45 +0900
Hi all,
The South Aust Ornithological Assoc ( dare I say Birds SA?) had it's mid
month outing today at Lowan CP ( 34 58 19s, 139 40 01e ) in the Mallee east
of Mannum.  It was a clear sunny day with no breeze, ideal for birding.
There wasn't a large number of birds around although a total of some 37
species were found. Raptors were very few with only one Wedge-tailed Eagle
being seen, but Mallee Ringnecks were common, together with 5 or 6 Mulga
Parrots and a few Galahs. There were lots of Spotted Pardalotes ( yellow
rumps) and Weebills, and Thornbills noted were Inland, Chestnut-rumped,
Buff-rumped, and Yellow-rumped. A couple of Shy Heathwrens were seen by
some people, but the only fairy wrens were "browns" with blue tails which
were reckoned to be Splendids. Seven types of honeyeaters were seen, these
being Red Wattlebird, Spiny-cheeked, Striped, White-eared, Purple-gaped,
Yellow-plumed, and Brown-headed. In the robin group only one Jacky Winter
and two male Hooded Robins were found. There were about twenty White-browed
Babblers, two Chestnut Quail-thrush, and a small group of Varied Sitellas
(pileata). In the whistlers we found a lots of noisy and easily seen Grey
Shrike-thrushes, one male Rufous and several female Golden Whistlers. In
the flycatchers there were a few Willie Wags, several Grey Fantails, and a
pair of Restless Flycatchers frequenting a large open grassy area which
made them very easy to see. Among the bigger birds there were Black-faced
Cuckoo-shrikes, a Grey Butcherbird, Little Ravens, White-backed Magpies,
lots of White-winged Choughs, two Common Bronzewings and we heard, but
didn't see, a Grey Currawong.
After lunch and on the way back to Mannum additional raptors, ie,
Black-shouldered Kites, Whistling Kites, Swamp Harrier, Brown Falcons,
Kestrels, and a Black Kite were seen ( plus one black falcon which overtook
us doing at least 140kph).
Some people then proceeded on to Murray Bridge in an attempt to relocate
the male Rose Robin seen earlier in the week - outcome not known.

For netters intending to contact me please note that I will be "off net"
from 21/7 to about 20/8 - gone birding of course.

Cheers. Tony R.

   ADELAIDE BIRDING with Tony Russell. South Australia by 4WD
   phone : 08 8337 5959  , o/s 61 8 8337 5959
   e-mail:
   There's nothing quite like the feeling of seeing a new bird is there?