birding-aus

Magellan GPS 315 Recommendation

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Magellan GPS 315 Recommendation
From: "Irene" <>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 19:27:18 +1000
Hi everyone
There was a call recently for GPS recommendations and I recommend the Magellan
GPS 315 that I purchased in April for $480.
You may recall I asked earlier this year about GPS and how to use them, and a
great book was recommended at the time.
Particularly I wanted to learn more about GPS rather than merely use the thing
for straight lat/long readings for bird
atlassing.
Well I took my GPS on my Queensland trip and for an entire month I thrashed it.
 Every day I very actively used virtually
every single function and screen of my GPS, working my way through all the
navigation screens, changing settings to see how
they would work etc.  I took turns at turning the GPS on and off constantly
during the day and also just leaving it on for
several hours at a time.  I also pretended a few times that I was lost and used
the navigation screens as the book told me
to - they got me back to camp each time.  I used the GPS walking, and also on
the bus at speeds of up to say 90 km per hour.
Used it on open plains, amongst taller gum trees and amongst spinifex and
mallee.  Even played with it at night for fun.
I couldn't be happier - the Magellan GPS 315 worked very well.
Irene Denton
Concord West, 12 km from Sydney city, NSW, Australia
33 50' 17" S  151 05' 25" E