birding-aus

Oiling rehab in SA. Penguins-live webcam pictures

To: birding-aus <>, birdchat <>, EBN English <>, UKBirdnet <>
Subject: Oiling rehab in SA. Penguins-live webcam pictures
From: Carol de Bruin <>
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2000 08:06:42 +0200
Hi there,

I forward this info for those who want to explore it further. The situation
is very serious in SA as the costs are enormous and the number of skilled
penguin feeders is a restriction. The rescue operation is being hampered and
may be at risk by the inability to handle the rescued birds.

This is not due to antipathy as there are many volunteers kindly giving
service - just about every birder in range has come forward and we have
people from upcountry and overseas as well. It is the sheer numbers and
intensity of work required. Training also takes time and people.

They need over 1000 volunteers a day and each penguin has to be hand fed -
3-5 minutes. The solid little flippers (like being smacked with the edge of
a piece of 4x2 planking several times a second - usually contacting the
lower arm) and sharp beaks (they contact and cut everywhere) cannot be
controlled fully at all times and after a few hours the feeder has to retire
for a while injured and very tired. Their commitment is unbelievable as they
continue to enter the pens despite the black and blue and carry on. It is at
time like this that you realise the calibre of caring people that we have in
this world. We owe all the people involved, in front line and behind the
scenes, a great debt of gratitude.

Cheers
Carol de Bruin

Johannesburg