birding-aus

Chestnut-breasted Whiteface

To: "Teet Sirotkin" <>
Subject: Chestnut-breasted Whiteface
From: "Michael J Hunter" <>
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 18:25:25 +1000
Teet,
 We saw a flock of eight CBWs in April last year at the Lyndhurst site with
Richard Jordan and Emu Tours. Our group of fourteen looked for them all day,
up hill and down dale among the low bushes, also searching for the
thick-billed Grasswren.
 Eventually Penny and I saw a small  bird in the late afternoon in the
distance and followed it up, it was one of a group of eight which had
started feeding by hopping along the ground under and between the shrubs
which were about a metre tall and close enough together to be touching or
almost so.
 We were able to follow them for twenty minutes at about 30 m. Sometimes
only one or two would be visible at a time, if we moved too close they would
fly further away. If we stopped they merely moved along slowly by hopping
and with short flights and we had some great 'scope views.
 A Masked Woodswallow  moved from shrub to shrub sitting above them as they
foraged, enabling us to pick them up if they flew further ahead and
disappeared on the ground.
 We covered at least six or seven km. during the search, starting at the
spot described by T&T. on the lefthand side of the road side of the road
coming from Lyndhurst. The birds were seen two gullies to the right of the
area marked "camping" on the T&T map 9.8.
 Take plenty of water in October, don't get lost, and Good Luck.

                                       Cheers
                                                 Michael Hunter