birding-aus

Swift Parrots in Toowoomba, SEQ

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Swift Parrots in Toowoomba, SEQ
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 08:19:24 +1000
Dear Everyone,

I want to express a public thanks to Judy Caughley and Terry Pacey for the
time they gave to us in our quest to see Swift Parrots in Toowoomba. It was
damned decent of them, and we enjoyed meeting the Toowoomba mob.

For those who might follow, we were unsuccessful with Terry at Glen Lomond
Reserve on Monday afternoon between about 3.30 and 4.30pm. The birds were
not there.

The following morning, Tuesday morning with Judy Caughley, we were
successful at the same site. We saw at least thirty birds, and each of us
felt that there were quite probably more than thirty. I would guess up to
35, but 30 is safe. Certainly no fewer than 30.

For those who follow us on this quest, perhaps it would be helpful to know
that the group, which we observed for about an hour from 7.30am, moved in a
cohesive group, appearing not to feed randomly. They've got such scrawny,
skinny little tails. Their call seemed to me to fall somewhere between a
Little Lorikeet and a Scaly-breasted Lorikeet. Not as low a buzz as
Littles, but not as high a shriek as Scalies. Present also were
Scaly-breasted Lorikeets, Little Lorikeets, Musk Lorikeets, Rainbow
Lorikeets, and King Parrots.

A list of the birds seen will follow when The Listmaker writes the list.

Jill

Jill Dening
Sunshine Coast, Qld

26º 51'         152º 56'