birding-aus

Response to Rory's Atlas comments

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Response to Rory's Atlas comments
From: "Eddie Ash" <>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 01:55:00 +1000
I was interested to read Rory's comments.   As he said they are only preliminary observations and there are many factors influencing the results as other people have mentioned.
Just a couple of comments from me:-
-I think the Nankeen Kestrels and Black-shouldered kites are missing from some areas because they're all following the high numbers of mice in inland NSW!   There's no shortage there especially of the kestrels.
-Putting the blame for declining numbers straight on to cats and foxes is rather presumptuous I feel.   To be quite honest, I get so tired of this being trotted out as THE REASON for bird and small mammal decline.    They certainly do have some effect, but man has had a far greater effect with all the clearing of habitat.   Feral animals have much less impact in natural areas where the native wildlife have places to hide in and escape to.   Why can't humans be honest and blame themselves.
-Finally, there was no mention of the smaller bush dwelling birds such as robins, whitefaces etc.   How are they faring?   I live on the NW slopes of NSW and haven't seen a whiteface or any of the red robins for years in the vicinity of my house.
Annabel