birding-aus

Ravens in Melbourne

To: <>, "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Ravens in Melbourne
From: "Philip A. Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 17:15:56 +1000
Peter,
In my four years at La Trobe University (1975 to 1978) (not far from your work), I once observed a pair of Australian Ravens there (in 1977 I believe) and documented it in my article "Additional Records of Birds from La Trobe University" in Aust Bird Watcher 8(2):40-41, June 1979.
The Australian Raven is also the common resident species in Canberra, (in fact I have had one pair raising three broods of young in the tree in my backyard). The Little Raven is uncommon, irregular (by year) and seasonal occurrence (mostly January to Autumn). This aspect will be discussed in my upcoming report on COG's first 18 years of Garden Bird Survey.

Philip