birding-aus

Sentinel behaviour and nocturnal singing

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Sentinel behaviour and nocturnal singing
From: "Jim Davis" <>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 11:55:14 -0700
Request for information:

   When I embark on a new article, I find it helpful to ask for input from
bird enthusiasts (professional and amateur) online.  I am currently
conducting a literature research on two topics:  nocturnal singing
(excluding owls and other nocturnal species) and sentinel behaviour in
birds.  If anyone has any firsthand experience, examples, ideas, references,
or comments on either of these topics, I would love learn more.

For starters, I have follow information on sentinel behavior in Scrub Jays
(North America), Jungle Babblers (India), Crows (North America),  Arabian
Babblers (Israel), and a mention of such behaviour in Australian Parrots
(need references).  It would seem that a prerequisite for the expression of
sentinel behaviour is a highly evolved social hierarchy.

I have had less success on locating examples of nocturnal singing ... I have
found one study on grassland birds (North America).  There are, of course,
well known examples such as Willie Wagtails (Australia). Nightingale-thrush
and -wrens, Ovenbirds, and Mockingbirds.  Any additional information would
be welcome.

Cheers, Jim
Interpretive Birding Bulletin, Editor
website: www.ibirding.com