birding-aus

Re: Hosking and Owls.

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Re: Hosking and Owls.
From: "Paul Walbridge" <>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 09:47:47 +1000
Eric Hosking was one of my boyhood idols, growing up in England. The attack  by the Tawny Owl Strix aluco also gets a mention in his excellent work 'A Passion for Birds, Fifty Years of Photographing Wildlife' He explains in the book that if the attack had occured in more modern times antibiotics would probably have saved his eye. Didn't seem to have affected his photography, though I think it gave him a greater respect for his favourite group of birds. The 'Heraldic' shot of the Barn Owl must be the most famous photograph ever taken of a bird. Any of his books should be a must in any birding library.

There's a Southport pelagic on this weekend which holds some promise. Already this week comes a report of a beachwashed Common Diving Petrel from North Stradbroke Island ( I think), only the second such record. Cheers - Paul Walbridge.

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"
in the message body (without the quotes).