birding-aus

Seawatch off Magic Pt Maroubra 10th June 2000 (and other things)

To: <>
Subject: Seawatch off Magic Pt Maroubra 10th June 2000 (and other things)
From: "Vella" <>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 15:53:30 -0000
Captain Carl Loves wrote:

FOR THOSE THAT MAY BE INTERESTED,  WE MANAGED TO GET OUT TO SEA TODAY ON A PRIVATE CHARTER,

SOME HIGHLIGHTS OF THE DAY WERE:

SOOTY ALBATROSS (1) BULLER'S ALBATROSS (2) ADULTS  GREY-BACKED STORM-PETREL (5) BLACK-BELLIED STORM-PETREL (1) NORTHERN GIANT PETREL (2)  ANTARCTIC PRION (3).

I think a Sooty Albatross should tempt many to go looking for one. I rate this bird as one of the most graceful birds I have ever seen and definately amongst my top ten favourites. I strongly urge for any interested birdo along the NSW coast to take advantage of these conditions. It doesn't come too often. Another bumper season is highly likely to happen judging by several interesting reports so far. The recent Tassie pelagic was very impressive aswell.

Yesterday morning, myself, Lorne Johnson and David Koffel had our first winter seawatch from Magic Pt, Maroubra. Winds were initially from the west but tended south-westerly by mid-morning (mainly light-breezes but a bit moderate at times and as a result did not expect to see many seabirds. Some of the birds seen included Black-browed (20 plus) and Yellow-nosed (1-2), Fairy Prions (hundreds, mainly a few km offshore), Fluttering and Huttons Shearwaters (hundreds of the former and atleast one or two of the later) and Kelp Gulls (atleast 3 adults and a sub-adult bird). We had good views of all these species as they were spotted within a km offshore (which was good considering the wind conditions). We all enjoyed watching a few Fairy Prions feeding by sifting the surface and hydroplaning (fairly distinctive prion behaviour) for about 2 hours, only a few metres from the rocks below us giving excellent viewing. Fairy Penguins (as just about every visit) were heard calling on a few occasions from below our cliff and we saw an Eastern Reef Egret fly past.

There is a concrete shelter at Magic Pt, which we often use to shield from the nasty (but good seabird weather) and the amount of graffiti on it seams to be increasing. I wonder who had wrote on the walls "S P Skua and Southern Fulmar Please"?. Who is responsible? We were quite amused with this.

Definately not the best seawatch we had, but a not a bad start for the winter seabird season.

Just listened to the last BOC bird call tape, vol. 12 (don't know how long it has been out for). As usual, great recordings. Certainly, alot of effort has been put into these valuable recordings. Beside completing the series, the last tape includes a section of supplimentary calls which inludes several calls that were missed or in error in proceeding tapes (eg) Topknot Pigeon, Plains Wanderer, Abbotts Booby and the Weka from NZ!!!!!! . I don't know why the later was included in the series. Does anybody know why?. A few calls were missed still (eg) Grey Wagtail, Red-necked Phalarope, Lorde Howe Island Pied Currawong call, Night Parrot, Paradise Parrot (though one of these they probably have no hope in recording). However, ofcourse it will be impossible to document every call. I have heard many other calls which were not included. Overall it has been a very good production giving a variety of bird calls for the majority of birds that have been recorded in Australia and its territories. Ofcourse, nothing can be absolutely perfect.

I have also recently purchased all the 3 Roger Whitaker videos on raptors "Hunters of the Skies" form the BOC. The total 3 tapes produces 3 hours of viewing of all Australias diurnal birds of prey and includes rare footage of Grey Falcons, Red Goshawk and Letter-winged Kite. I hope this is not the only time I'll get the chance to see them as these 3 raptors are the ones I have yet to see. Differences in the shape and structure of the Letter-winged Kite were clearly highlighted against a Black-shouldered Kite. I think I would be able to identify one without seeing the "M" mark, but ofcourse I still would want to see it, to be 100 percent satisfied I had seen one. I have only managed to watch one of these videos but it was great to see great footage of raptors  on the nest and in pursuit of prey. I strongly recommend these videos to all raptor enthusiasts.

Edwin