birding-aus

Re: vegies

To: "Scott O'Keeffe" <>
Subject: Re: vegies
From: (Richard Johnson)
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 10:41:50 +1000
Hi Scott

While I generally agree with your arguments, I have to pick you up on one point.
I can assure you (from personal experience and that of others) that shorebirds
are very definitely on the menu in much of coastal Asia. By way of example
(there are many worth citing but I think this one particularly telling), much of
what we know of wader movements along the East Asia Flyway comes from banding
returns. Very many of these records are from birds taken for food. The ones we
know about probably are a minority of banded birds taken, and in turn banded
birds are certainly a very small proportion of the total number of birds taken
for food each year.  If you'd like some references on the topic, let me know.

Scott O'Keeffe wrote (in part):

>    Yes, what a great idea, send them some grain fed beef to stop them eating
> migratory waders (which arent on the menu anyway).  Perhaps we could send them
> some beef fed on
> grain produced on the North American Prairie, where migratory shorebird
> breeding areas have declined by some abusurd figure (over 75%, I think) as a
> result of conversion to cropland.

Richard Johnson
Roma District
Tel: (07) 4622 4266  Fax: (07) 46 22 4151
E-mail: