birding-aus

To Ralph Reid re Woodland Birds

To: <>
Subject: To Ralph Reid re Woodland Birds
From: "Judie Peet" <>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 09:42:02 +1000
Hi Ralph,

The Woodland Birds Project is a joint initiative of the NSW National Parks & Wildlife Service and Birds Australia. It is a 12-month project with the primary aim of informing the general community about the decline in number and range of woodland birds. The focus is on the NSW sheep-wheat belt.

This decline has been thoroughly researched and documented, and it is now recognised that the main cause of the declines is habitat loss.  Broadly, this includes the degradation and fragmentation of native vegetation over a large area and a long time period, as well as the continuing large-scale clearing of the present time.

A list of 20 species acknowledged to be in decline has been drawn up, and includes species once common in their ranges, such a robins and whistlers. The woodland birds in decline are mostly insect-eaters, and, most importantly, are declining as a group.

It is worth considering that the loss of a whole suit of insectivorous birds may have serious long term consequences for both agricultural and natural ecosystems. In any case, such a loss is certainly a warning that all is not well, and that ecological processes are breaking down.

The miner's canary has evolved into 20 of our best-loved birds, and we need to take this situation very seriously.

If you contact me personally Ralph, I will be happy to send you more information and one of our beautiful Woodland Birds posters.

Judie Peet
Woodland Birds Project Co-ordinator
email