birding-aus

Waterfowl - how do they know

To: <>
Subject: Waterfowl - how do they know
From: "baldcoot" <>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 22:22:20 +0200
Greetings from South Africa

Here in the Port Elizabeth area we have also seen a drastic reduction in waterfowl numbers despite excellent rains and full dams, etc.  All Greater & Lesser Flamingos have disappeared from the local salt works evaporation pans - juveniles included.  So too have the Black-necked Grebes - all 1000+.

On fresh waters ponds about 40 kilometers away we were counting up to 250 Red-billed Teals during our monthly censuses.  Since the heavy rains further north these have dwindles to 7!

I have had reports of 500 000 pairs of flamingos breeding on the Etosha Pan in Namibia and about 200 000 on a pan in Botswana - both sites being over 1 000 kilometers to the north of us.

Certainly wish I knew how they knew that conditions so far away were right for breeding?  'Tis all a mystery - Will it ever be solved?