birding-aus

how do they know?

To: Birding-Aus Mail <>
Subject: how do they know?
From: (Richard Johnson)
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 17:16:58 +1000
Hi everyone

Yes, a question that has intrigued me and others for many a year. I like
Peter Woodall's infrasound idea and reckon it's worthy of study as long
as he doesn't expect me to pay for it! I reckon Lorne's way off track -
I might believe Harold Holt and God but it's well known that lost socks
disappear into the fifth dimension -no pelican could see there.
I have speculated that birds, waterbirds in particular, but also those
other birds that move about in response to seasonal conditions, may be
very sensitive to atmospheric clues i.e. air pressure and humidity. Fish
definitely respond to changes in the barometer, so why not the much
smarter (we hope) birds? Over a very long evolutionary period, the
skills of detecting these clues in travelling air masses, translating
them into information about distant climatic conditions and interpreting
their significance for feeding and breeding, could have been selected
for - the winners get to the water, fish, grass seed, insects etc. first
and breed more often or more successfully. Of course, this could be just
a load of rubbish!
I wonder if Jim Davis, of Interpretive Birding, can fill us in?

Richard