birding-aus

A Beautiful Victorian Morning

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: A Beautiful Victorian Morning
From: "S Cooney" <>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 12:05:28 +1000
'Morning all,

What a lovely Autumnal morning it is in southern Victoria today.  And a
great day for bird-watching.  I got up with the sun this morning and went
up to our bush block in Gembrook to do a couple of surveys and had a lovely
time.

Of special interest to me were four new birds for the block.  I am really
surprised I haven't recorded Australian Ravens there before, less surprised
that I hadn't seen Grey Butcherbirds there before, but I was delighted to
see for the first time a male Scarlet Robin and even more happy to see a
pair of Beautiful Firetails!  Both of these birds are new ticks for me.

As usual for Gembrook I saw very few Honeyeaters.  Today I only saw a
Eastern Spinebill and a Couple of Red Wattlebirds, with Bell Miners in the
background and if you add Little Wattlebirds to that list it covers all of
the Honeyeaters that I have seen on the block.  This strikes me a being
rather unusual.  I wonder if it has to do with the drought that Victoria
has been experiencing over recent years; the flora of the block seems
pretty good although not particularly florally spectacular.

I would welcome any comments.

Regards,

Stuart
(Today's list below)

Australian King Parrot
Australian Magpie
Australian Raven
Beautiful Firetail
Bell Miner
Brown Thornbill
Brush Bronzewing
Common Blackbird
Crimson Rosella
Eastern Spinebill
Eastern Yellow Robin
Golden Whistler
Grey Currawong
Laughing Kookaburra
Grey Butcherbird
Pied Currawong
Red Wattlebird
Scarlet Robin
Spotted Turtle-Dove
Striated Thornbill
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
White-throated Treecreeper

And perhaps 3 or 4 calls that I did not recognise nor find the caller.