birding-aus

Access to the Western Treatment Plant, Werribee, Victoria

Subject: Access to the Western Treatment Plant, Werribee, Victoria
From: Gil Langfield <>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 17:59:26 +1000
I went to the Plant for the first time for about 7 months today and realised that the odd recent message on Birding Oz about the Plant has some reason. I had booked my entry and explained where I was going and had a long chat with the man who answered the telephone but who did not tell me anything out of the ordinary.

When I tried to follow the route down South Rd into Murtcaim Rd to get to Paradise Rd, I found new gates with locks. Luckily, I eventually found one side gate on 145 West Rd which allowed me access to the areas I wanted to visit.

Later in the day, I stopped near the Oval and here I was met by one of the Melbourne Water employees (I think). He politely but firmly said I should "get back onto the bitumen". He said it was dangerous on dirt roads, there were open drains and wandering livestock. I told the man that I had been coming to the Plant for about 10 years (actually 8), that I followed the conditions of the permit and was very well aware of the hazards.

When I asked why I had not been able to get to Paradise Road, he said that there had been changes to the Permit System and that I should get a key from the office. I said that I had not been informed of any changes to the Permit and he suggested that the office had been slow in getting out the paperwork.

I have now faxed the Plant office and await their reply which I will post to the group. Has anyone else been having problems or can anyone shed any light on the matter?

Regards,

Gil Langfield
Melbourne, Australia

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"