birding-aus

Thanks for GPS Help

To: <>
Subject: Thanks for GPS Help
From: "Irene" <>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 18:24:08 +1000

I recently asked for help regarding resources on “how to use a GPS”, as I wanted to be able to use much of its functionality rather than merely use lat/long readings and easting/northing readings.  Many of the responses I received from people were very helpful.

Many thanks for David McDonald’s advice regarding the book by Lawrence Letham “GPS Made Easy: Using global positioning systems in the outdoors', 2nd edition, Rocky Mountain Books, Calgary, Alta, 1998”.  I was able to obtain a copy of this book (the last one that Paddy Pallins, Sydney had, $24.95).  This book is FANTASTIC and I thoroughly recommend it.  It was exactly what I was looking for, written in plain English, step by step, so that you could really understand what all the numbers and terminology in a GPS mean.  More than this, it explained UTM measurements on a map (and different formats for these), the various latitude/longitude formats (and their presentation on maps) etc. etc.   FANTASTIC.

It had good explanations as to when you might, or might not, use certain features of the GPS.  With excellent complete illustrations and examples to work through, I think I now understand some 70-90% of my GPS’ functionality, rather than only 10%.  Thanks David.

Thanks also to Bob Forsyth for references to various websites, Brian Fleming and Paul Taylor for taking time to expand on some items I raised in my original email.

Bob Inglis:  thanks for your first email with references to websites.  I’m not sure why your second email said:    “Most of the replies to Irene's request concerning using GPS haven't been really helpful in my opinion.”  I personally found them very helpful.

Cheers

Irene Denton

Concord West   (Sydney)

33º 50’ 17”  151º 05’ 25”           !!!!!!!!!!