birding-aus

Blue-winged Kookaburra Anting

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Blue-winged Kookaburra Anting
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 09:37:08 +1000
G'day all,

On the day (4/3/2000) that 2 friends (John & Sue O'Malley)
and I saw the Black Bittern near Gunpowder Mine we
had 2 other interesting observations.

1
 We were able to drive up alongside a
 Blue-winged Kookaburra  that was sitting on the dirt road
 to the Lake and Sewage ponds.
 There were largish (meat ?) ants crawling around it
 and also on its legs.
 No doubt there were ants also on its lower feathers.

 I've read about anting in Alec Chisholm's classic "Bird
 Wonders of Australia" but this was my first observation.
 A search of the Birding-Aus Archives using " anting"
 was fruitless

 Is there a published comprehensive list of species
 that have been observed anting ?

2 We observed also what may have been a melanistic
  Spinifex Pigeon. There was some slight greyish
  streaks on its otherwise black back.

The small amount of doubt was created that the bird was
observed alongside some leakage from a disused copper
tailings dam that may have stained the bird.

Regards...Bob Forsyth , Mount Isa, Qld