birding-aus

Braeside day out

Subject: Braeside day out
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 12:37:26 +1000
Hi all,

Like a phoenix from the ashes (or however the saying goes) yet again
the Monash Biological society has been ressurected and we have
recommenced our birdwatching trips. Our first for the year was
last Saturday 15th April and we went to Braeside Park, south of
Melbourne. We had beautiful weather, a good turnout, and lots of
birds (see list below). The only downside for the day was on the way
to the bird hide, we saw a pelican hit by an aeroplane coming from
Moorabin Airport. We watched as it spiralled down and hit the ground
(the pelican, not the plane). We weren't sure if it was still alive,
so we fanned out and searched the grasslands where it had landed. We
found it still breathing but unconscious, so a couple of us went to
find a ranger. By the time we got back it was dead, so the ranger
took the bird for stuffing. So if a new stuffed pelican appears at
the Braeside Park info centre, you'll now know the full story!

Here's our list (kind of but not quite in taxonomic order)

Black Swan
Aust Pelican
Magpie Goose
Cormorant (Little Pied? very far away)
Rail/Crake (only got a glimpse, but possibly Buff-banded)
Dusky Moorhen
White-faced Heron
Sacred Ibis
Straw-necked Ibis