birding-aus

Nightjars and seasonality

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Nightjars and seasonality
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 11:05:16 +1000
Many thanks to those who responded to my recent query about the seasonality
of White-throated Nightjars in SE Qld.

A few correspondents indicated that in the Brisbane area at any rate, these
birds appear to be present year-round. The three nightjars that have been
appearing here at dusk each evening since February are still with us (as at
last night15th April), but we're just a little over 100km west of Brisbane,
and the climate and environment generally is quite different, so I'm not at
all confident about how much longer we'll have them here.

Nevertheless, I'm beginning to consider whether our own lack of winter
records could perhaps be to some extent a function of our habit of eating
indoors in the colder months, rather than of a northerly (or easterly)
movement on the part of the nightjars. So, we'll try to keep a good watch on
these birds and see how long they keep up their present crepuscular habits.

While on seasonality, some autumn activity:

Red-tailed Black-cockatoos are still scouring the valley for White Cedars,
and continue to announce their presence loudly at Abberton most days; Magpie
Geese are becoming more and more regular hereabouts - 23 birds settled on
Lockyer Creek just in front of the house yesterday, at least half of them
young birds; Australasian Shoveler have moved back into the area recently -
14 on one small lagoon at the weekend; and Black Falcons have become regular
in a couple of locations, with some  courtship activity evident.

I would value any comments from anyone else about seasonal records for
White-throated Nightjars.

Bill Jolly

"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

Visit our website at http://www.abberton.org <http://www.abberton.org/>

Email:  <>
Ph: (+61) 7 4697 6111  Fax: (+61) 7 4697 6056